EVLA uses laser energy delivered in a thin fiber optic probe to treat varicose veins. There is minimal to no pain and no scarring. During the 45-minute procedure, the area of the leg affected is locally anesthetized, and under ultrasound guidance, a thin fiber laser is inserted into the abnormal vein, delivering laser energy. The fiber optic probe is then withdrawn from the vein. There is almost no discomfort during the procedure, only the feeling of light internal pressure. Many patients choose to bring a magazine or listen to music during the procedure and are able to return to normal activity immediately after. We ask that you do not visit a sauna or submerge yourself in a hot tub afterwards because it may cause the newly closed veins to open back up.
Benefits of EVLA
There are a variety of advantages to using this form of vein therapy, such as:
- Treats swelling, inflammation, aches and other symptoms caused by varicose veins
- Quick, minimally invasive laser procedure
- Rapid relief from painful and unsightly leg veins
- Return to normal activity immediately after the procedure
- No general anesthesia or hospitalization